Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Jobs I've Had

My first seven jobs (plus the eighth and ninth, that's all I've had):
1. Corn detassler for seed corn company, two years - HS summer job
2. Department store flunky, rug department - 1.5 years - in college
3. Form gang laborer -- two summer jobs, in college
4. Elgin National Watch Co three years - college dropout
4. Park cars -- part time while at Elgin
6. Stuff ads & funnies Saturday nights - while at Elgin
7. U.S.Army, five years, enlisted man
    - - - -
8. Philco (bought out by Ford), 17 years Aerospace Engineer at NASA Houston - night college eleven years
9. San Jacinto College, Business Professor 22 years
XXX. Retired 15 years so far
#firstsevenjobs

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 09, 2016 10:18:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

My colleges:
1. University of Nebraska - Three semesters, dropped out - played too much chess, didn't study near enough
2. University of Texas, extension course at Fort Bliss Army base, El Paso - Transistor Physics
3. United States Army Air Defense School, NIKE Fire Control Systems Maintenance, 43 weeks, graduated third in class (this course plus two years work experience qualified me for an aerospace engineer with Philco Tech Rep, later we were bought out by Ford Motor Co.)
4. San Jacinto College, AA degree in 'Pre-engineering
5. The University of Houston, BS degree in Economics
6. The University of Houston Bates College of Law, JD degree in Law (Jurisprudence)
Note: The final three college experiences were completed taking evening courses while I was working at NASA for Ford. I had sat out eleven years and it took me eleven more years to complete my education.
..

 
At Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:17:00 AM, Blogger Marian said...

Hi, Jim. This meme is so interesting and YOUR lists are SUPER-interesting! I was thinking about how looonnnngggg my list would be if I added every job. But here you are with a smattering of young-person jobs, a ton of education, Army, a long career, and retirement. It's the opposite of my experience in many ways. Many stressful ways, I should add. And similar too (for example, I too am a lawyer)
But my favorite thing here is "played too much chess." :)

 
At Friday, September 02, 2016 11:13:00 AM, Blogger Josie Two Shoes said...

This was interesting! You found several ways to keep money coming in while you were young, and then settled into an amazing career, and another after that! I am sure you have plenty of stories you could tell from each place you've worked! Retirement is the nicest of all, for sure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home